Mendipathar College, Mendipathar was established on 30th July, 1971 affiliated to Guwahati University. The college started functioning from the academic session 1971-1972 and was formally inaugurated by Capt. Williamson A. Sangma, the first Chief Minister of Meghalaya on the 11th August, 1971. The College was inspected by Shri J.N.Das, then Principal of B.N.College, Dhubri, Assam and permission to open one year P.U.Course was granted by Guwahati University for academic session 1972-73 but the Guwahati University did not accord permission as the North Eastern Hill University was soon to take over the College under its jurisdiction. The NEHU accorded permission for Degree Courses for the academic session 1974-75. The College was established in an area of 73.19 acres of land as an Adhoc College with the primary objective of providing Higher Education to the socially backward sections of the society in general and Garo community in particular.
The College was elevated to the status of deficit Grant-in-Aid College on 1st January 1986. During the year 2000, the college was recognized by UGC, for the grant purposes under 2(f) and 12(b) of UGC Act, 1956. In the year 2004, Computer Literacy Program (CLP) was started making the beginning of Computer Era in the college. In subsequent year, Computer Application subject was added to other Elective subjects. In tune with the changes taking place in all walks of life, all the departments are using over head projectors and power point presentation for which the facilities are already available.